Refurbed

Wednesday, December 31, 2008
He everyone! It's been a while, so this'll be a long one... I've been busy lately trying to juggle more projects than I probably should, but I thought you'd like to see some of the results.

When we moved into our new house, we went from a one living area household to a two living area house hold. That means that instead of JUST having a living room, we now have a living room AND a den. Now, since we're not in the financial situation to be able to buy all new furniture for every room... we've had to get creative.

First off- Garage sale chic-

I found these two matching chairs at a garage sale a few months back- lovely, eh? and only 10 bucks a pop! Ben said that they reminded him of the chairs in our bishops office at church... but I was not fooled, these could be nice chairs with a little face lift...



































I think that Tucker has gotten the idea that any time I break out the camera it is for him... so, here he is trying to squeeze into the frame...



































Here is the fabric that I picked out. It was fished out of the "designer remnant" pile at my local fabric store and only cost me 12 bucks!


































So, after staining the wood a little darker, and the reupholstering... Voila! Here is the final product!



































Two chairs for about 32 dollars, not to shabby!



































Next up- A couch. I was lucky enough to find a friend at church who was giving away her old couch. A couch that had been in her family for some 40 years and earned the nickname "Ol' Beige"

































I know, right?!?!? WHO would GIVE AWAY this ol' gem???

And just to prove my point about tucker...

































Looking for a spot... and...

































Strike a pose!

Here is the fabric I picked out. On sale- but I needed so much that I ended up costing about 40 bucks.
































One dedicated Saturday, an Artemis Fowl audiobook, and a WHOLE lot of staples later and- here she is!
































Ain't she a beauty! We've since replaced old rollers with wooden legs to match the two chairs and are a little bit taller than the originals... They look pretty snazzy.


And last but not least- Ben's old Armoire-



































I believe this piece is at LEAST 10 years old. It has served him (and us) well, but it was about time for an updating! New hardware and a fresh coat of black paint and you have-

































Ta Da!!!

We can't decide whether to put the doors back on with new hardware or whether to leave it open up top and add in some shelves... any opinions???

and here's a better look at the hardware-

































More pics can be found HERE!

END.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kelly... I'm impressed with your work! Can you please move in with me and help me do my house? Hope all is well in TX!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are a pro. I can't wait to see you guys and the new place in a few months.

Katie said...

HOLY COW Kelly you are awesome. You transformed your whole room for what 100-150 bucks. The couch, chairs and cabinet look amazing! I think you should paint the doors and put them back on! jmo! you're amazing!

Mason Fleske said...

Marry me? Dang, you're already married. FINE! Okay, come re-cover my dining room table set...pleeeease? I'll show you around Atlanta!

MariLouise said...

As the former owner of ol' beige, let me just say....WOW!! You are AMAZING! If only I had known what was possible. (Oh yeah, and if only I had your talent and "can-do" attitude...)

Kelly D said...

Thanks, everyone! The next project is finding stuff to hang on the walls... then i'll post some finished room pictures.

Anonymous said...

WOW, Kelly all I want for my birthday is for you to make the cake and redo our couch and love seat! That will be the bestest gift ever. That is truly amazing work. Can you re-cover Ben and make him look new? :)

Angela said...

I'm truly impressed! I have a dresser than I'm wanting to repaint, but Eli thinks it's garbage and should be thrown away. I showed him your pictures so maybe now he'll relent (I was going to repaint it anyway, with or without his approval, but it's nice to have it).

cd said...

Nice try brotherman...we're getting new living room furniture...recovering won't make it more comfortable!

Rebecca said...

Do you remember me? We live in Dallas now too:)

Love what you did with reupholstering that stuff. I need your help adding some padding to my daughters headboard...do you know what I mean?

We should have a Manhattan reunion:)

the.lamb.castle@gmail.com said...

Wow! you rock at refurbishing furniture! You need to come visit my house! Seriously you are a pro! Love it! Love the blog too!
h