New Kitchen Gadget

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

















So.... I bake wedding cakes and make fancy dinners (sometimes) and watch Food Network ALL the time, but I have one serious culinary flaw... I can NOT boil and egg to save my life.

I know. It's one of the easiest kitchen tasks, but for some reason I just can't let those little eggies sit in the water long enough to get properly cooked. And if I DO try to go against my instinct, I will let them sit there entirely too long and they will majorly over cook.

So... Enter my newest gadget:



























Purchased at William Sonoma for 6 bucks while I was visiting up in Idaho.



























So, the idea is that you put the egg sized and shaped timer directly in the water with the eggs, and the color will change as the timer heats up, letting you know precisely when the eggs are cooked to your desired doneness.

I decided to test it out this last saturday and kinda screwed up royally (see previous blog post for full story...), so I did a second test last night.



















My timer sitting in the water with 3 eggs to test the three settings.



















Here's a pic from Saturday when those eggs were at medium


And the final results?




















Soft, Medium, and Hard cooked eggs. Not bad!

And all Ben could say was, "It smells like farts in here."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the ending to the post. I laughed out loud at Ben's quote. Thanks!

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

What a great gadget!!

Oh and Ben...he's classy!!

the doze said...

Hey... I just call it like I see (smell) it. :)

Mason Fleske said...

I have one of those timers and it now resides in my bathtub. Kids. I wonder if it stays in the tub with Mason the entire time if he will come out hard boiled? Hmmmm.

Nancy said...

I need one of those!! I was trying to make egg salad sandwiches for dinner one night and the eggs came out way undercooked so my husband had to run up the street to the store to buy dinner and ended up buying already made egg salad sandwich filling and telling everyone (okay, only one person) he ran into that we knew that I couldn't boil an egg properly. I'm glad I'm not the only one lacking in this skill.