S.O.S.

Saturday, November 15, 2008
This post is to explain a serious disorder of which I suffer from. It's called Shiny Object Syndrome. To illustrate the devastating effects of this disorder, let me tell you about the last 60 minutes of my life.

The Plan:

Super speed clean so that the house is beautiful and welcoming when Ben gets home from teaching his class at UTA.

The Reality: (timing is approximate)

60 minutes ago- Start cleaning the kitchen. Get distracted when I open the fridge door, see the carton of eggs, and remember the super nifty new kitchen gadget that I got while visiting Idaho (shiny object #1). Start the eggs boiling and go back to cleaning kitchen.

50 minutes ago- As soon as the water starts boiling I notice the new gadget working its magic and think of what a great blog entry that new gadget would make (blog= S.O. #2). Go grab the camera, which happens to be out of battery power. Start the hunt for new batteries (S.O. #3)

45 minutes ago- Camera is ready to go, start snapping pictures of my gadget at work, which reminds me that I have a few other projects going on in the house that need to have "before" pictures taken.

40 minutes ago- Gather these items for their photo shoot and start snapping away (S.O. #4). Tucker decides that he would like to be the subject of these photos, and he is just too darn cute to disagree with. Thus begins a full fledged Tucker photo shoot (S.O. #5)

30 minutes ago- Come back to the kitchen to finish doing dishes and realize that I've forgotten about my new gadget and let it work its magic just a smidge too long, pull my eggs out of the water, start running them under cold water, and wonder if the blog post is now ruined.

20 minutes ago- Doorbell rings- two kids from the neighborhood are fund raising for some summer camp (this does not count as a Shiny object since it didnt really catch my interest, just ate up some time)

15 minutes ago- Decide that I really need to crack down if I'm going to get this house clean, and head back to the kitchen. By this time the eggs are cooled so i decide to peel one to see how badly I screwed up. Turns out, its a little over done, but not too far gone- just as the new gadget had predicted... so the blog post is NOT ruined!

10 minutes ago- If i'm going to clean this kitchen, i'll need something entertaining to watch while i'm doing it. I remember the movie that I've got on the DVR that I was watching last night. (S.O. #6) Cue the movie to the right spot. Turn back to the dishes and realize that, 50 minutes later, there is actually a BIGGER mess in the kitchen than there had been before, realize it is all due to my S.O.S. and realize that THAT could make a really good blog entry...

1 comment:

Mason Fleske said...

Um...so where are the photos of your new kitchen gadget?! Dangit!