July: Three Big Cakes in Three Awesome States.

Monday, August 3, 2009
Hello everyone!

July has been a busy month, so I thought I'd update the ol' blog with the highlights.

Ben and I began the month visiting family in Kansas. Ben's stepdad turned 80 at the end of June, so the family decided to celebrate with a birthday party/reunion on the weekend of July Fourth. Of course, one of the perks of having a cake decorator in your family is fancy cakes for big occasions, and this was no exception. To celebrate Don's b-day i made a cake celebrating the different stages in his life.
















































More photos of the cake and the reunion can be found Here.


About a week after the reunion, the bakery that I work at got a VERY important call. We were hired to make a cake for New Kids on the Block! Let me say that again... NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK! Holy cow! Since i was already planning on going to their concert with my big sister, sister in law, and her two sisters, i was totally stoked to get a chance to make their cake. Here are a few pics....

This is the flier for their summer tour. They didnt give us a lot of direction on the cake, so we decided to mimic the flier...


















Me, channeling Bob Ross...






















I decorated the sides of the cake with silhouettes of screaming fans... lol...


















and here is a pic of "the guys" with their cake. It's just so beautiful...


















Cake number three came at the end of the month. One of my cousins, Katie, got married on July 25th, and she asked me to make her cake. Her only direction was chocolate, Chocolate, and CHOCOLATE. So... this is what i came up with:


















I think i nailed the theme ;)






















































Aww... they're SO cute!

As always, more cake pics can be seen HERE. I've added recent pics of my work at the bakery, so check it out!

9 comments:

James, Becky and Parker said...

You are SOO talented Kelly! I LOVED looking at the album with all of your awesome cakes!! :)

Sharla said...

Wow! I hopped over from facebook. They all look beautiful, but that wedding cake looks absolutely DELICIOUS! I love the strawberries cascading down the side. And the gerber daisies are a great burst of color.

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

WOW Kelly your skills are exploding!! But the question is...do you still love making cakes?

Anonymous said...

You are amazing Kelly. Your Aunt Chris still brags about the wedding cake you did for her daughter, katie. I wish everyone could have seen it, the picture only partly shows your talent. And it tasted as wonderful as it looked.

Love, MOM

Kelly D said...

Thanks for the complements, guys! I should post more often ;)

Larman Family said...

You are sooo awesome!

Katie said...

ahh New kids on the block? For real? that is awesome! I love all the cakes you are very talented!

Katherine Steel said...

I LOVED IT!! I am pretty bummed that i only got ONE bite =[ ok so i'm not bummed i'm depressed! Thanks for that amazing cake!! i keep hearing people how amazing it was and how much they loved it!! THANK YOU!

Katherine Steel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.